Monday, 4 August 2014

Wish 1- Join the bone marrow register

Bone marrow donation is something very close to my heart as over the years I have seen many lives saved through bone marrow transplants.

Everyone knows what to do if you want to donate your organs but not many know about the process of donating bone marrow. If you are told you need a bone marrow transplant the last thing you need is the worry that there isn't anyone registered who is a match to you. I've sadly known so many children who have died either waiting for a match or having to receive bone marrow from someone who isn't a close match. 70% of people in need of a transplant don't have a relative who is a match so they rely on finding a kind stranger to give them a second chance of life. Did you know you can sign up by sending a bit of spit in the post in a free kit from the Anthony Nolan Trust or ask to join when donating blood? The actual donating isn't as scary as most imagine, 90% of people who donate do so by sitting in a chair with 2 little tubes in their arm. The other 10% donate in the traditional way but I knew a 9 year old called Emma who donated in that way, if a 9 year old can do it then anyone can. Emma donated to her 8 year old brother Matthew who would of died without a transplant- he is now a healthy 19 year old!
Matthew
Matthhew and Emma enjoying a day out organised by Post Pals post transplant



Different countries have different lists but you can be matched with someone on the other side of the world. You need to be healthy to join the register and I will never be able to join, I would love to find some people to join instead and this is one of my 30 birthday wishes. A few links
Anthony Nolan British Bone Marrow Register
Be the Match (America)
ACLT Promoting bone marrow donation in ethnic minorities and mixed race people
Matthew and Emma's story  





I would love to hear or see pictures if you take part with any of my wishes and will read them on my birthday (21/12). My contact details are my30wishes@hotmail.com and Vikki C/O Post Pals, PO Box 278, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT23 4WN, England. Thank you

2 comments:

  1. I am proud to say I've been in bone marrow register for 2yrs now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not able to join the bone marrow register as I had blood after a car accident. However my sister pledges to join next time she gives blood (on the website it says sign up when you give blood). So that's wish 14 too.

    ReplyDelete